A Good Standard of Living




Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business
and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life
may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Progress on the Staircase and Kitchen Trim Finished

This is how I spent my three day weekend over Memorial Day.

Before I even started, I knew this would be my problem child due to the high ceilings in here.  When you’re standing in the living room, the highest part is about 30 feet up, which makes it impossible to get up to the very top left corner without an extension ladder.  I’m waiting for a friend to bring me one as soon as he gets back from Wisconsin. 

But, as you can see, I’ve made good progress and tackled what I could reach.  Not sure if you can see it in this picture, but there are these brown “drips” running down the walls and we have no idea what caused that, but it’s an eyesore that I certainly won’t miss!

stair-a

All of the woodwork in this house is stained pine, which I am sure in it’s glory day (the 80’s)  was very nice, but I HATE it and will paint all of it throughout the house.  The handrails had a pretty thick coat of polyurethane on them, so I had to do a lot of sanding to knock down the shine. I primed with Kilz before painting.

stair-b

You can see the some of the process here and also that I started the tall wall with the same chocolate brown that I did around the bay window. I LOVE this color.

stair-c

 

Here is how it looked at the end of the day.  Got a lot accomplished, but will have to live with this until I get the ladder.

I am SO glad that I decided to go with the chocolate brown all the way up with the sidewalls staying the creamy yellow.  The white woodwork breaks it up and I think it looks so pretty as well as dramatic.

I still have to do with wall to the left and then I’ll do the landing at the top and all the doors. 

Once again…..OH HOW I HATE THAT LIGHT FIXTURE!  Dear Lord, please provide me with a ladder soon!

Confused smile

stair-d

I also managed to get the trim done around my kitchen cabinets.  It’s so true that the beauty is in the details!

You needn’t spend a lot of money to make things nice.  This is plastic molding and since I planned to paint it, why buy the expensive stuff?  Once painted, you can’t tell the difference and I’m not made of money. 

I don’t know why I often forget to take pictures of the before, but the molding that was on here when I moved in was ugly, dirty and in disrepair.  Here it is before I painted it.  If you don’t have a brad nailer, get one!  It’s my favorite tool and I used it to attach the molding.

Cabs-d

Cabs-b

Cabs-c

I am so pleased with how this came out. I redid the whole kitchen for less than $75.00!  2 Gallons of paint…one can of brushed nickel spray paint and a 5 sticks of molding.

I just roll my eyes when I think about the home improvement shows that say things like….”We did this kitchen for ONLY $5000.00!”  Whatever.

 

AFFNSignature

Post a Comment