A Good Standard of Living




Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business
and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life
may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Obsessed With Saving

Since my last post where I talked about the death of my dryer and my newfound love for “making do”, I’m proud to say that I’m still hanging my laundry up to dry and that my little invention is working quite well, thank you very much!  Life has sort of “double dog dared” me lately to see how far I can take this frugality thing.  Well, I have to say that I’m finding it really fun! 

Since purchasing this new house, money is an issue, because there are so many things I need and want to do around here.  So, I’ve gone off on a mission to find every way possible to save money.  What started out as need has turned into somewhat of an obsession.  I have scoured the Internet for resources on all kinds of make-your-own…(fill in the blank) and I’m amazed at all the stuff I have found.  The first one I just finished trying was making your own laundry soap.  The powdered kind.  I was kind of skeptical as to whether or not it would get the clothes clean, but I must say…it works just as good as the over-priced, over-perfumed commercial brands.  You should really try this

1 cup Borax

1 cup Washing Soda

1 bar of Fels Naptha, Zote or Ivory

laundrysoaprecipe

You grate the soap and mix it with the other two ingredients then store it in a container with a lid.  I used an old butter tub and the scoop from my last box of Gain.  I only use about 2 tablespoons.  I just eyeball it.

I also gave up fabric softener and I put 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.  The clothes come out soft and static free.  I get a clean smell without the heavy perfume and it’s gentle on the environment!

The best part of all is that it saves money!  It works out to be about $.05 cents per load.  I was spending $.15 cents per load before.   We all know cheap vinegar is and how expensive fabric softener or dryer sheets are.  That’s a no brainer there.  I’m saving over $100.00 per year on laundry products.

You may be thinking that $100.00 per year isn’t that much, but if you do that with other things around your house, it could be a significant savings.  I will save about $200.00 per year by not using my dryer.  So, I can save $300.00 a year just by changing the way I do laundry and the products I use.  I’ve found recipes for cold crème, body wash, mouth wash, lip balms and dozens of other things I’m going to try.  I stopped buying the facial scrub I have used for years to exfoliate and I just keep a bit of sugar in the bathroom in a jar and mix a little in with a dollop of cold cream and I have a very cheap scrub. 

I’ll let ya know how my little experiments work out.  See you in the laboratory! Muwahahahahahahha!

AFFNSignature

Post a Comment