A Good Standard of Living




Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business
and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life
may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

I can't speak for everyone, but as for me, I don't just love all things vintage in my heart, but I enjoy actually living a vintage lifestyle.  Or at least trying to.

I was doing some cleaning in my office over the weekend and ran across some really cute stationary that's been tucked between some books on my shelves.  I pulled it out to look at it and thought...wow....when will I ever use this again.  I haven't sent a handwritten letter to anyone in years with the advent of Email and the Internet.  My mind drifted back to when I was a teenager and the memories of getting handwritten letters from my favorite aunt Josephine who lived in California.  I loved getting those letters and each time one arrived, everyone would gather round to hear the news as I read the letter out loud.  I would then sit down and compose one in reply and send it off in anticipation of the one I would receive back in a few weeks or so.

It's sad that we've all gotten so lazy...or we think we're just too busy to sit down and write a letter.  So, I'm going to start using that stationery again and I just bet that my friends and family will really enjoy my handwritten letters and maybe even feel the thrill of a little nostalgia, too.  I am certain that those letters will be remembered long after their e-mails have been sent to the cyber-circular file. 

So, get your stationery out and write some letters and let me know what happens.


Post a Comment