A Good Standard of Living




Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business
and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life
may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

It was the best of times....it was the worst of times......

Talk about a mixed bag of curses and blessings! Life is so wonderful right now in so many ways. I'm totally out of debt. I have more money to work with, a new grand baby....I've lost 10 pounds on my new journey to better health, but I had the most awful thing happen to me over the weekend.

I decided to rearrange my computer/sewing/craft room and I began by straightening out the massive mess of cords for my computer and peripherals. I unplugged everything and got it back where I wanted it and then I proceeded to plug it all back in and then I realized that my external hard drive wasn't working. It crashed! It was making a weird clicking and beeping noise and I couldn't access it. I was a little freaked, but then remembered that I had just backed up all of my graphic files onto a CD RW, so I wasn't too concerned. Well, guess what? I went to use the CD and it was corrupted! I tried to repair it with some repair and recovery software, but it wouldn't work! SO, all of my years of hard work making graphics was essentially down the toilet. I was so upset over it that I almost cried. Instead, I went to PayPal and download 2 years worth of history to find out who has purchased what from me over the years and began e-mailing everyone. In less than 24 hours, I had retrieved almost 100% of what I had lost! Of course, the files are not in layers like they were with my PSP files, but I can still use them and break them apart in other ways if I have to. Mainly, I can still fill orders for them. FORTUNATELY, I had another disk that had all of my adoptables and little characters on them, such as Midge and the Pettibone bears...AND....the girls from my Girl's life set...all still in layers. WHEW!!

I am pretty much over the shock of it all now that I have gotten most of it back and as I always try to do, I began looking for the silver lining and realized that this is an opportunity to start fresh and get some new stuff made up. I haven't drawn a lot lately and I've been feeling the bug lately!

So...a word to the wise. NEVER use a CD RW to back up data. That is done with what they call "packet writing" and is much more likely to become corrupted than a CDR which is done in what they call "session writing". I'd much rather have to keep making new CD's for back up than to lose everything.

On another note...

My new grandson is doing well and is getting cuter everyday. He's not even 3 weeks old yet and is already making great strides at holding up his own head. AND, he SMILES. NO, it's not gas. I know a smile when I see one. He does it when you stroke his cheeks. I'll be posting some more pictures soon.

I don't have time to write much more right now, but in my next post, I'll tell you about what is going on with Mason's mama in regard to her C-section she had. You won't believe it.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Godspeed....Deb


Post a Comment